BioCC carries out interdisciplinary R&D and services throughout the entire food chain — starting from breeding, feeding and animal husbandry up to creation of health‐promoting food products and conducting the clinical trials to demonstrate their the health benefits.
BioCC carries out internationally recognized R&D to create, develop and implement innovative biotechnological solutions for feed, food and dietary supplements, integrating its and international previous knowledge and know‐how in the field of microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, metabolomics, genomics and physiology.
Silage inoculant Lactobacillus plantarum E‐98 NCIMB 30236 has been listed in the European Community Register of Feed Additives. Starter ST LLC has launched NordSil comprising the strain E98
Lactobacillus plantarum TENSIA® (DSM 21380), an hypotensive and antioxidative probiotic with patented properties which helps to maintain cardio‐vascular health through a reduction in blood pressure, and by improvement of other cardiovascular markers. E‐Piim Production Ltd has launched a cheese Südamejuust.
Harmony comprising the strain L. plantarum TENSIA®
Services of BioCC are aimed for companies who want to create new science‐based value‐added products (functional foods , dietary supplements , feed) and make the production more efficient
- Licensing of BioCC owned bacterial strains for food and animal feed;
- Clinical trials for testing possible functional properties of products from two aspects: safety and functionality
Laboratory for Clinical and Physiological Research of the BioCC a member of The European Clinical Research Infrastructures Network (ECRIN www.ecrin.org).
- determination of fatty acids in food matrix;
- determination of milk coagulation properties and rheological properties of dairy products;
- determination the quality of milk and dairy products; o evaluation of silage quality. o Advisory services for milk and dairy producers (feeding, hygiene, quality etc.);
- recommendations concerning food, nutrients and nutrition; o advice concerning in the food value chain (from farm to fork); o microbiological analyses and consulting in food‐ and feed microbiology
The laboratory of the BioCC confirms to the requirements of EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005 as testing laboratory in the field of food and feeding stuffs microbiological and chemical analyses and blood immunoassays.
The BioCC owns a microbial collection the BioCC MC harbouring strain from humans, plants, environment and animals.
Main research areas
Main research areas of the BioCC’i project HEALTHY FOOD are following:
- to develop products with increased nutrient density for general population and specific population groups
- to develop functional products, probiotics and feed additives to establish a biotechnological platform based on biomarkers and novel selection traits for resource‐effective production of high quality raw milk with elevated nutrient density to meet increased consumer demand.
E‐Piim Production Ltd, Dessert Ltd, Starter ST LLC, Animal Breeders´ Association of Estonia (ABAE), Eesti Põllumajandusloomade Jõudluskontrolli AS, Dimela AS, Värska Vesi AS, Paadi Pagar LLC, Tervix OÜ,Metstaguse Argo OÜ, Revala Ltd. Roosi Talu, Estonian University of Life Sciences, Solbritt AS, University of Tartu, Nopri Farm Dairy LLC, Lõunapiim LLC, R‐Capital LLC