12 Science Journalists from 9 European countries (Russia, Latvia, Spain, Finland, Greece, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and Switzerland) visited Estonia from May 15 to 17 to learn about Estonian information and communication technology (“ICT”). The study trip was organized by the Estonian Research Council, Estonian Association of Science Journalists and the European Union of Science Journalists’ Associations („EUSJA“).
During the two-and-a-half days of the trip, journalists met information and communication technology (“ICT”) researchers at the University of Tartu, Tallinn University of Technology and Tallinn University. ICT applications and research projects in various topics such as big data analysis, cyber security, speech recognition and synthesis, social semantic technologies, genomics, human geography, internet voting and data analysis were presented. Also, journalists visited several successful ICT businesses, namely Skype, TransferWise, AS Cybernetica and Guardtime. ICT Demo Center introduced Estonian e-governement solutions, See the exact programm here and a list with some of the articles published based on the study trip as follows:
- Anna Kuusela. Viron nettiäänestys tulikokeessa. Turun Sanomat. Sunnuntai. June 25, 2014
- Anna Kuusela. Geenitieto voi parantaa ja pelastaa. Turun Sanomat. June 15, 2014
- Anna Kuusela. Kilppikonnarobotti sukeltaa syvyyksiin. Turun Sanomat. June 15, 2014
- Barnaby Skinner. “Das war das Signal, dass alle reich werden können. “ Wie ich in Shorts und barfuss den estnischen Präsidenten Ilves interviewte. Sonntagszeitung. August 17, 2014
- Bennie Mols. In Estland stemmen via internet. Radio 1, the Netherlands. May 20, 2014
- Bennie Mols. Estonia’s e-Society: visionary or naive? ACM (The Association for Computing Machinery). May 29, 2014
- Daphne Riksen. Estland ICT-land. Vereniging van Wetenschapsjournalisten in Nederland. May 29, 2014
- Daphne Riksen. E-Estland. Succesvolle Digitale Samenleving. September issue of De Ingenieur
- Christina Ribas. Estonia, el país más digital de Europa. CristinaRibas.net. blog. August 2, 2014
- Thanos Labrou. ICT in Estonia: Press e-enter. Science View. Newsletter. 05/2014
- Merce Piqueras. Estònia: Un petit gran país. La Lectora Corrent blog. May 16, 2014
- Tatjana Zimina. Эстон ская мозаика. Наука и жизнь. Наука и жизнь. June 27, 2014
- Grazia Seregni. Nuove Technologie, Ricera e Futuro, Eccellenze in Estonia. DonneCultura blog. June 7, 2014
- Grazia Seregni. Eventi in Estonia. Estonia 20 anni in anticipo sul 95%del resto del mondo. DonneCultura blog. June 12, 2014
The study trip was financed by the European Regional Development Fund and European Union of Science Journalists’ Associations.
This event was supported by Estonian Research Council through European Union Regional Development Fund.